Current time: 29 Mar 2024, 01:00 AM

Are there any game universes more dystopian than half life 2 ?
Offline panda

SmG Member
2 Years of Service
Threads: 22
Likes Given: 1
Discord: UAV#1357
Are there any game universes more dystopian than half life 2 ?

In half life 2 humanity seems to be in an awful situation and while that might not be apparent at first. There's a lot of hidden details.

First is the lovecraftian horror (horror stories about beings who are beyond comprehension and our abilities) aspect of a multidimensional species that's entire schtike is invading worlds and forcably but slowly changing an entire species into one of them (which would ultimately result in death since you won't have your memories) but it's much worse than that. They essential defeated the entire world's militaries in 7 hours , created suppresion fields that prevent humans from breeding and evolving. Messed with their minds using memory altering tech , reduced their food supply to make them less nutricious. And made humans join the civil protection which is a brutal police state regime in exchange for better living conditions only to  turn out to be a worse deal ( the combine keep the civil protection member's families captive , and if the member dies or fails at their job then their family dies as well which is the opposite of life insurance) Not to mention the constant surveillance and brutality even at simple things like escapism. They're essentially slowly and painfully genociding humans. The only reason they're kept alive is probably because they make good foot soldiers or because their survival depends on keeping them alive temporarily

I don't think there's a game universe where humanity had a worse fate. On the top of my head I think killzone is similar but in it humanity actually has an equal fighting chance whereas in half life 2 their only way to defeat the combine is closing off their portals which itself isn't a guarentee
17 Aug 2022, 07:14 AM
Find Reply
Offline Avery

SmG Member
5 Years of Service
Threads: 4
Likes Given: 0
Discord: avxry._
RE: Are there any game universes more dystopian than half life 2 ?

I genuinely cannot think of anything more dystopian right now...

Bioshock maybe? I have no clue.
[Image: ezgif-2-26a2b1536c.gif?ex=6616aac4&is=66...0df89d96&=]
27 Mar 2024, 07:13 PM
Find Reply