Current time: 28 Mar 2024, 08:02 PM

Halo ce FPS fixes
Away SmG Storm

13 Years of Service
Threads: 203
Likes Given: 0
Ghost
Halo ce FPS fixes

i was trying to help hawk get some more FPS on his halo so i thought i would just make a post to help everyone who gets shit FPS on ce as well idk if you guys tried it but i thought i might add some information for you guys. these should work.
1.lower the graphics settings to lowest possible
You may prefer to switch this or that on your video setup, but you should always have your framerate set to "No vsync”. Specular, shadows, and decals can all be turned off, and texture quality set to low. Tuning these four values down will give you a performance boost, and could actually help you concentrate better on your shot, rather than looking at all the pretty graphics. Its often better to disable most of the pretty details, for higher fps and more consistent performance. Increasing the gamma is a must on halo; it allows you to see better by lightening up the environment. Specular with disablealpharenderparticles (explained later) can be helpful, it reflects light and makes it easier to see both in dark areas and in general.
If you dont like the blurry image you can try playing in a window. This option forces your game to have one-to-one pixilation no matter what the resolution you play at. Keep in mind though that your monitor has to be on its native resolution outside of the game for this (so in Windows video properties for most users it has to be set to the highest). Playing in a window can also mess up your refresh rate. For those who need to play with low resolutions for performance issues, this option is not for you.
2. Command Line Parameters
Command line parameters can change the way halo acts. To add a command line parameter, right click on your halo shortcut, select properties and add them after the value in the target field.
Example- you have:
"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\halo.exe"
in target. With useff it would look like:
"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\halo.exe" -useff

Here is a full list of the command line parameters: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830487/">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830487/</a><!-- m -->
(i found this one after my 6th month in joined SmG)

The following command line parameters force halo to use older shaders (lower graphics basically). This may help your FPS, or it may not. On some higher end graphics cards this can hurt your fps. Maybe you prefer playing with useff for some strange reason however. Maybe the lack of pretty graphics helps you concentrate.

Quote:

-use00 :: Uses the lowest graphics possible. No grass or sand textures. No armor color.

-useff :: Uses Fixed function graphics. Simple textures, and simple armor color. This means that that regardless of your graphics card's capabilities, the game will run with the most basic effects. Along with the PS1.1 effects disabled above, this results in the removal of the following elements:
# No shadows
# Simple active camouflage effect
# No glows or flares
# Very basic fog, water and lighting

-use11 :: Uses Shader 1.1 graphics. Limited, and disables the glow for plasma pistol/rifle, which appear black. Forces this lower Pixel Shader mode on cards which support PS1.4 or PS2.0 will improve performance at the cost of the following elements:
# No bumped mirrored surfaces
# Some video effects are two-pass
# No model self-illumination (excluding some specific environmental models)
# No animated lightmaps
# Fog calculations are triangle based, not pixel based
# No specular lights

-use14 :: Uses Shader 1.4. If you have a relatively new graphics card such as those mentioned above, then forcing PS1.4 mode on them will improve performance at the cost of some visual elements, namely:
# No bumped mirrored surfaces
# Some video effects are two-pass

-use20 :: Uses Shader 2.0 graphics. Any higher is what Bungie intended the game to look like
This is also where you enable console (the thing that allows you to use rcon commands), and the mouse accel fix, which we will get to shortly. The list on the Microsoft site explains each of the parameters well, so Im not going to repeat it here.
3. Config.txt Values.
If you go to your halo directory, you will find a file called config.txt. At the top of it you will have a set of available commands that look like this.

Quote:

/ LinearTextureAddressing - Rendering to non-square textures require w,h not 0-1 coordinates.
// LinearTextureAddressingSun - Rendering the sun requires w,h not 0-1 coordinates
// LinearTextureAddressingZoom - Rendering the zoom effect requires w,h not 0-1 coordinates
// MinMaxBlendOpIsBroken - Indicates that the Min/Max blend modes are broken.
// UseAlternateConvolveMask - Use three stage convolution mask.
// MaximumResolution - Limits maximum resolution of card to width specified ie: MaximumResolution = 800.
// UseFixedFunction - Forces card to use fixed function path
// UnsupportedCard - Unsupported video card (below GF2)
// OldDriver - A driver we do not recommend because it's older than ones we have tested
// InvalidDriver - A driver which we know has serious issues
// OldSoundDriver - A sound driver we do not recommend because it's older than ones we have tested
// EnableStopStart - Sound card supports fast calls to stop and start buffer functions
// HeadRelativeSpeech - Sound card prefers head relative instead of disabled 3D calls
// InvalidSoundDriver - A sound driver which we know has serious issues
// SafeMode - All rendering options set to their lowest (most safe) setting
/ - Specifies that Direct3D should manage resources instead of the driver.
// ForceShader - Forces the search for valid shaders to start at a value other than the max the card supports ie: ForceShader=14
// UseAnisotropicFilter - For high end cards will use Anisotropic filtering instead of trilinear on environments
// UMA - UMA card, base video memory on system memory size (0-64 = 8Meg, 6-128 = 16Meg, 128-256 = 32Meg, 256+ = 64Meg)
// DisableBuffering - Forces a video card to render each scene - used to prevent mouse lag
// DisableAlphaRenderTargets - Do not allow render targets that require an alpha format
// DisableRenderTargets - Disable all render targets
// PrototypeCard - Warning for known prototype video cards (For example prototype XBOX GF3 test cards)
// DisableSpecular - Disable specular in menu and game
4. Mouse
Personal preference. Some people prefer playing with very low sensitivities, while others prefer high sensitivities. Some people also have different values for the x and y axis. Find a sensitivity you like and stick with it. You wont get your shot down properly until you do.

By default windows has mouse acceleration on. This accelerates your mouse as you drag across. For gaming its much better if you disable acceleration. Its impossible to fully disable acceleration in halo, there will still be some, but you can disable most of it.

Disabling acceleration is different depending on your operating system. There are different accelfixes for Windows XP and Vista for example, and Windows XP 32 bit and 64 bit. For 32 bit Windows, get Anir’s accelfix. For other OSs just search around and you will find one.

Be sure to also disable windows's pointer precision, which is basically prediction. Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > uncheck "enhance pointer precision". Also ALWAYS be sure that your pointer speed is at six (default). This is because the inputs from the mouse are untouched and relate directly 1:1 with cursor movement. Every "tick" of the mouse the cursor moves 1 pixel your cursor on setting 6. On setting 8 for example, one mouse "tick", moves your cursor two pixels. Setting 4 on the other hand, ignores every other input from your mouse, so the mouse moves two pixels before your cursor moves
one.
or if you want more tips hawk go here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.overclock.net/computer-perip">http://www.overclock.net/computer-perip</a><!-- m --> ... guide.html
Hope you learned something.
OMG i never typed this much on the damn forum
some more tips n trix
General Tips
Halo can be configured not only by the settings menu but also by it's config and init files.

example..(just an example) to use timedemo use this info <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=309">http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=309</a><!-- m -->
[Image: configuslx.png]

The 0x0193 example
To get the DeviceID of your video card start Halo with the timedemo argument and have a look in the timedemo.txt
-DisableAlphaRenderTargets
This removes the blur when zooming.
Before:
[Image: halo2010-05-2812-36-18psmz.jpg]
After:
[Image: halo2010-05-2812-34-05bpci.jpg]

There is also DisableRenderTargets that removes even more effects, but I like effects, so I find the former a better choice.
Also the liquid camo effect on ATI cards will vanish, making it harder to see camo.
If you also enable Specular in the video settings certain surfaces will get reflective.
Before:
[Image: halo2010-05-2812-36-566oe5.jpg]
After:
[Image: halo2010-05-2812-33-22arkm.jpg]
NOT MY SCREENSHOTS
-DisableBuffering
You can also see that I added one more option to the config.txt. It's supposed to prevent mouse lag, it's called DisableBuffering and it forces the video card to render each frame to prevent mouse lag.
But you need a fast pc for that or your fps will go down which will create fps dependant mouse lag.
[Image: MCZBxMS.gif]
03 Apr 2012, 12:45 AM
Find Reply
Offline BlackHaze

Registered
13 Years of Service
Threads: 349
SmG YouTuberOverwatchSmG YouTuberLegendary
Re: Halo ce FPS fixes

wow alot of info to take in Brain twitching awwwwwwwwwww
[Image: po6bq.gif]
03 Apr 2012, 12:54 AM
Find Reply
Offline Pulse

12 Years of Service
Threads: 141
LegendaryHalo GodGamerHand-held/Mobile Gamer

Umm, if i set it to no vsync i get upto 300 FPS but i get horizontal tearing on the screen( as it is said on the option description below in hce)
03 Apr 2012, 12:56 AM
Website Find Reply
Away SmG Storm

13 Years of Service
Ghost

SmG Pulse Wrote:Umm, if i set it to no vsync i get upto 300 FPS but i get horizontal tearing on the screen( as it is said on the option description below in hce)
hawk gets 21 that's why i made this
03 Apr 2012, 01:13 AM
Find Reply
Offline PirateEggs

Registered
13 Years of Service
Threads: 168

I play 1920 x 1080 at 250 FPS ...
I am going to try the DisableBuffering and Specular ... xD

I did a couple timedemo's one at 1280 x 720, and the other at 1920 x 1080 ...
It's in a spoiler for a good reason. lol.
Date / Time: 3/04/2012 2:55:46 PM (3278673ms)
3400MHz, 1024MB, 1024M nVidia Unknown (DeviceID=0x1201) Driver=8.17.12.9610 Shader=2.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe -vidmode 1280,720,6000 -window -console -use20 -Timedemo (Version=1.0.9.620)
Frames=4700
Total Time=3.68s
Average frame rate=1277.87fps
Below 5fps= 23% (time) 0% (frames) (0.852s spent in 1 frame)
Below 10fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 50fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 60fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
###Sound Options###
Hardware Acceleration= No
Sound Quality= Low
Environmental Sound= No
Sound Variety= Medium
###Video Options###
Resolution= 1280 x 720
Refresh rate= 60 Hz
Framerate throttle= No Vsync
Specular= Yes
Shadows= Yes
Decals= Yes
Particles= Off
Texture Quality= High

For further information, please visit the timedemo FAQ at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/hpcperformancefaq.html">http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/featur ... cefaq.html</a><!-- m -->

Date / Time: 3/04/2012 3:00:24 PM (3558928ms)
3400MHz, 1024MB, 1024M nVidia Unknown (DeviceID=0x1201) Driver=8.17.12.9610 Shader=2.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe -vidmode 1920,1080,6000 -console -use20 -timedemo (Version=1.0.9.620)
Frames=4700
Total Time=4.80s
Average frame rate=979.37fps
Below 5fps= 0% (time) 0% (frames) (0.000s spent in 0 frames)
Below 10fps= 0% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 50fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 60fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
###Sound Options###
Sound Quality= Low
Environmental Sound= No
Sound Variety= Medium
###Video Options###
Resolution= 1920 x 1080
Refresh rate= 60 Hz
Specular= Yes
Shadows= Yes
Decals= Yes
Particles= Off
Texture Quality= High

For further information, please visit the timedemo FAQ at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/hpcperformancefaq.html">http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/featur ... cefaq.html</a><!-- m -->
[Image: 27269.png]
03 Apr 2012, 01:23 AM
Website Find Reply
Offline SmG Battlefire

12 Years of Service
Threads: 425
Graphics MasterBronze MedalThanks From Cloud5KLegendarySilver Medal

Wow storm thx :up:
If I have any problems getting these fixed I will ask you :up:
[Image: ABT7lEM.gif]
03 Apr 2012, 01:29 AM
Find Reply
Away SmG Storm

13 Years of Service
Ghost

PirateEggs Wrote:I.
Date / Time: 3/04/2012 2:55:46 PM (3278673ms)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe -vidmode 1280,720,6000 -window -console -use20 -Timedemo (Version=1.0.9.620)
Frames=4700
Total Time=3.68s
Average frame rate=1277.87fps
Below 5fps= 23% (time) 0% (frames) (0.852s spent in 1 frame)
Below 10fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 50fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 60fps= 26% (time) 0% (frames)
###Sound Options###
Sound Quality= Low
Environmental Sound= No
Sound Variety= Medium
###Video Options###
Resolution= 1280 x 720
Refresh rate= 60 Hz
Specular= Yes
Shadows= Yes
Decals= Yes
Particles= Off
Texture Quality= High

Date / Time: 3/04/2012 3:00:24 PM (3558928ms)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe -vidmode 1920,1080,6000 -console -use20 -timedemo (Version=1.0.9.620)
Frames=4700
Total Time=4.80s
Average frame rate=979.37fps
Below 5fps= 0% (time) 0% (frames) (0.000s spent in 0 frames)
Below 10fps= 0% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 1% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 50fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 60fps= 2% (time) 0% (frames)
###Sound Options###
Sound Quality= Low
Environmental Sound= No
Sound Variety= Medium
###Video Options###
Resolution= 1920 x 1080
Refresh rate= 60 Hz
Specular= Yes
Shadows= Yes
Decals= Yes
Particles= Off
Texture Quality= High

:shocked: :shocked: wow pirate. that's so epic.
03 Apr 2012, 09:33 AM
Find Reply
Offline marshMello

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 25

This was actually some really useful shit. Thanks Storm! :D
[Image: mkalltheway.png]
Hoax-"Won't stop. Can't stop, S m G