Current time: 31 May 2024, 10:36 PM

Lounge Threads
Offline Yuun

Registered
6 Years of Service
Threads: 2
Likes Given: 0
RE: Lounge Threads

(28 Jan 2018, 07:49 PM)Stinger Wrote: The reason there isnt much useless posts here is because its constantly moderated :P
Im not sure having a giant section for people to spam and shitpost will be beneficial though, but we'll see

Figured. Giggly 
It's not going to be a giant section nor a place for people to post useless stuff though, it's only one thread where people talk to each other in a non-spammy way so the forum itself gets more active. Read the reply I made to Phoenix for more details!

(29 Jan 2018, 12:23 AM)FlasH™ Wrote: Having a section for just people to post random stuff is basically off topic. I feel like a lounge thread cannot replace a shout box, because the purpose of the shout box is to receive the reply as soon as you send the message. A lounge thread would require the users to post and then wait for someone's reply, and in order to view the reply, the user would require to refresh the page. In comparison, shout box would be better imo.

Like I said above, it's not a section we're talking about here; just one thread which, granted, is slightly offtopic but without spam and where people talk to each other about whatever they want to instead of having to create a thread about it where you only reply once without any talk. And yeah, it might not even be necessary to replace it with the shoutbox, that's why I said it was uncertain since I was also thinking about the "instant" perks it has. Homra
Also read below in the post I wrote for Phoenix for more info!

(29 Jan 2018, 02:59 AM)Phoenix Wrote: Don't see why we couldn't just use Discord for it.
You use an example of it saving a community, but we don't know if that community used Discord or something similar to it. The problem here is that we don't want to subtract 1 from the other necessarily, rather escalate both which is an entirely different thing.
And as Flashy said, feels too much like off topic. Lounge feels too much like delayed messaging rather than instant messaging.

Well, the point here is to create activity on the forum itself. We had a Discord where people were indeed active, but the forums were also active due to actually having something that's kind of, uh, "recyclable", which were in this case the lounge threads. People had a motive to actually post more in the forum instead of just logging in once or twice a day and lurk for any new threads in which they can post on, similarly to here. It created, you know, a kind of "balance" in activity between the discord and the forum. And don't worry, there's no need to actually replace the shoutbox for it if you guys don't want to!

We also had an offtopic section for people to post on, which also didn't count as posts exactly like the one you guys have here right now. It was literally the place where people went to actually shitpost whatever they wanted to that couldn't be posted in the lounges (within a certain limit, you weren't allowed to actually post useless crap even on offtopic), so as long as it's also there people will know what not to do when in the lounge.

Helheim's comment also highlights something I wanted to talk about, which is the maintenance of those threads: whether people will shitpost on it, how hard is it going to be for staff to manage it if that happens, etc. Like written in the OP, it managed to get a large amount of posts in a relatively short time span; while we definitely had more members to post, with the risk of low quality stuff showing up being higher, we actually had way less staff to moderate it (4 active people plus the owner) and we still managed to pull it off successfully. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's going to be a walk in the park, but it's not going to be to the level of Dark Souls either if everything goes well as planned. :Photobomb:

While I'm fairly sure it can work, at the end of the day it really depends on the community being active enough even if the admins decide to try it out. Cloud knows it and many people who may also join later on also do (wink), so it's really all up to believing it will work here and make it happen!

(29 Jan 2018, 04:44 AM)UzzyFTW Wrote: It's a really good idea but we could use #members in Discord for a slower discussion at the same time

Like I said above, what we need is more activity on the forum. It's not that you can or cannot discuss the stuff you want on the discord, but managing to do it on both places! Bulba

(29 Jan 2018, 09:49 AM)HelheimDK Wrote: I generally like the idea, because I also would like to see more people active on the forums, and I have been on sites where they had them, and they extremely fun and chill.
But idk how hard it is to maintain, so I can't comment on that

Yeah! Read what I said to Phoenix as well, it also answers your question. Giggly
[Image: lSTyGPG.gif]
29 Jan 2018, 11:46 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Lounge Threads - by Yuun - 28 Jan 2018, 07:11 PM
RE: Lounge Threads + Other Stuff - by Cloud - 28 Jan 2018, 07:16 PM
RE: Lounge Threads + Other Stuff - by Stinger - 28 Jan 2018, 07:49 PM
RE: Lounge Threads - by FlasH™ - 29 Jan 2018, 12:23 AM
RE: Lounge Threads - by Phoenix - 29 Jan 2018, 02:59 AM
RE: Lounge Threads - by UzzyFTW - 29 Jan 2018, 04:44 AM
RE: Lounge Threads - by HelHeim - 29 Jan 2018, 09:49 AM
RE: Lounge Threads - by Yuun - 29 Jan 2018, 11:46 AM