Current time: 13 May 2024, 09:07 AM

SmG reviews movies
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service
Threads: 396
Likes Given: 0
Discord: Phoenix#8984
Gavel of TrinityHearthstone GodOverwatch5KEmerald DonatorLegendaryOverwatch Tournament AwardWriterDiscord WarriorDiscord MasterFortniterThe BombGamerGeniusChristmas 2018Bronze MedalGuardian
SmG reviews movies

I feel like sometimes when I want to watch a movie, I want to see what others think of it first before diving in with 10/10 expectations that are dashed to pieces by a 7/10.

So I've been watching some movies and wish to write a review for some of them. Feel free to post your own in a similar format. Please include 50 word explanation at least of said movie and rating. :D Repeat reviews are welcome.

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Rating: 6/10
Explanation:  This particular movie had a soft spot for me. As a reader of the entire Narnian (if that is a word) series from the first ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ all the way down to ‘The Last Battle’, the entire series was mind boggling and I was eager to see the movie adaptations. However, past the beautiful landscapes and dazzling effects, the story was at times, bland and simply too far off from the novel to be even recognizable. Though there were certain heart-wrenching moments, at times, the story seemed both rushed and predictable. Without reading the novels beforehand, quite a few parts were unexplained and even confusing to the overall plotline.

Over time, the Narnian movie adaptations have gotten both messier and less likeable and can only be dubbed a decent fan service for the followers of the original novels or the first film. Otherwise, if you had hopes for improvement in the 3-part Narnian series, then this will surely be a let down. 

Title: Wanted (2008)
Rating: 8/10
Explanation:  For me, this movie has been one of the standouts of the past year. Although rather late to the party. This movie was truly impressive. I went in expecting little due to the infamous nature of the bullet bending. Although some parts are gory and at times, the swearing unnecessary, this movie contained one of the few, with an unpredictable plotline. The twists, turns and in depth nature of this film were truly astounding and more detail would mean spoilers. The progression and development of both plots and characters made perfect sense coupled with the perfect choice of cast. A truly amazing standalone film that is highly recommended.

Title: A Monster Calls
Rating: 8/10
Explanation:  Often, when reading the 'blurbs' of certain films, they either heighten or severely lower the expectation. For me, this was one of the higher end and boy did it deliver. The story although simple, is filled with intricate detail with many ideas being referred back to later on. Liam Neeson perfectly encapsulates and voices 'the monster' that is the manifestation of all the anger, rage, frustration in the real world. 
A heart-wrenching film filled with many valuable life lessons that deal with and covers many issues that may be facing both children and adults with different backgrounds. However, due to certain unexplainable plot holes and questions, the film wasn't able to score a higher rating. A near perfect story with almost flawless execution.
[Image: wksDXoi.gif]

Member -> Recruiter -> Recruiting Director -> Mod -> Captain -> Admin
(This post was last modified: 02 Dec 2017, 09:42 AM by Phoenix.)
01 Dec 2017, 11:03 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
SmG reviews movies - by Phoenix - 01 Dec 2017, 11:03 AM
RE: SmG reviews movies - by Ben-G - 01 Dec 2017, 11:06 AM
RE: SmG reviews movies - by Phoenix - 01 Dec 2017, 11:13 AM
RE: SmG reviews movies - by Phoenix - 02 Dec 2017, 09:41 AM
RE: SmG reviews movies - by Phoenix - 03 Dec 2017, 01:50 AM