The old domian
Offline BlackHaze

Registered
13 Years of Service
Threads: 349
Likes Given: 0
SmG YouTuberOverwatchSmG YouTuberLegendary
Re: The old domian

SmG Hawk Wrote:Pretty much we lost the domain, can't remember if it's because of the ddos attacks or if cloud forgot to renew it and lost it.
So pretty much because of the amount of traffic the site used to get the price of it went way up, to about 4k if I remember correctly.
Due to it costing so much cloud couldn't afford to buy it back so he got .net instead.

not even close Hawk a former member owned the domain and he was away at camp
and we could not get a hold of him to renew the domain or at least transfer it to clud
so we lost the smgclan.com domain.
[Image: po6bq.gif]
24 Nov 2014, 01:00 AM
Find
Offline Omega

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 183

And it was too expensive for cloud too buy back so we moved to .net, i feel like you came into ts just to yell at us about that evan xD
24 Nov 2014, 03:19 AM
Find
Offline «SmG» Cloud

The King
Administrators
13 Years of Service
Threads: 2,104
Likes Given: 107
Discord: Cloud#2911
Speaker of the HouseDrunkFortniterDrunkDiscord Warrior5K
A Knight of The Round TableGamerTwitterHalloweenPet LoverChristmas 2018
Valentines Day RubyGolden GuardianBoost GangHalloween 2019ScoutBug Hunter
Diamond

SmG Hawk Wrote:Holy crap, I still can't believe that the old domain (SmGClan.com) is still worth so much.
I would have thought that since it hasn't been bought in the 2 years that it would have been reduced.
[Image: AZHKiTT.png]
I look at it almost every month and sometimes every week. So almost a year ago now I wanted to get the old domain back as a surprise for you guys I called and told them the old situation they gave me a discount but wouldn't go lower than about $600 which is a RIP OFF. No domain name should be that expensive. That crappy company basically buys expired domains the second they are allowed to then the old owners come back trying to buy it and make them pay 10 times the original price (about $12) its a good scheme they have going but pretty messed up.
[Image: b4eQPAf.gif]
25 Nov 2014, 07:31 PM
Website Find
Offline Omega

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 183

Cloud, I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what you would do.
25 Nov 2014, 11:41 PM
Find
Offline Beasty

The Lord thy God
11 Years of Service
Threads: 206
Discord: betsy#4548
WriterEmerald DonatorJokerOverwatch5KLegendary
Discord Warrior

«SmG» Cloud Wrote:
SmG Hawk Wrote:Holy crap, I still can't believe that the old domain (SmGClan.com) is still worth so much.
I would have thought that since it hasn't been bought in the 2 years that it would have been reduced.
[Image: AZHKiTT.png]
I look at it almost every month and sometimes every week. So almost a year ago now I wanted to get the old domain back as a surprise for you guys I called and told them the old situation they gave me a discount but wouldn't go lower than about $600 which is a RIP OFF. No domain name should be that expensive. That crappy company basically buys expired domains the second they are allowed to then the old owners come back trying to buy it and make them pay 10 times the original price (about $12) its a good scheme they have going but pretty messed up.

Use your bartering skills.

Say "look, you and I both know that nobody is going to pay $600 for it, let alone thousands. The only one who would even bother with this domain is the old owner, and that's me. And I am not paying $600 for it. Let's be honest, I get your scheme, and you probably make enough as it is with some of the more gullible people who are actually willing to buy it back at those rates, but this domain in particular is just dead weight for you right now. Let's make it easier on everyone here and just come to an actual reasonable price. Because if we can't come to that, you're just going to sit on this thing until push comes to shove and you have to lower the price to what we can bargain here today anyways, so save us both the trouble and cut your losses right now."

Something like that, persuade them that it's not worth the effort. When you are trying to convince someone of something, you always want to frame it so that you're doing the other party a favor. You also want to complement the other party. Commend them on their business model, tell them it's clever and genius and because of the understanding you have of it, you're doing them a favor by trying to buy it now instead of later when they've sunk too much time and money into this ordeal anyway.
25 Nov 2014, 11:48 PM
Find
Offline Alloy

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 232

And what makes you think Beasty that other people hadn't bargained also?
26 Nov 2014, 11:29 AM
Find
Offline Beasty

The Lord thy God
11 Years of Service
Threads: 206
Discord: betsy#4548
WriterEmerald DonatorJokerOverwatch5KLegendary
Discord Warrior

SmG Alloy Wrote:And what makes you think Beasty that other people hadn't bargained also?

Because why the fuck would anyone pay hundreds of dollars, let alone thousands, for a domain like that? Their entire business model is built around manipulating human ties for a profit.

Think of it like they're kidnappers. You kidnap someone's dog or some shit and sell them back for obscene amounts of money. Why would someone pay that much? Because the object in question has extraordinary value to this specific person. If I kidnap your pet and then go to some stranger and say "if you ever want alloy to see this thing again, you'll give me thousands of dollars!" It doesn't quite have the same effect, because there's no inherent relationship to this object with anyone else but the intended victim.

And that's the drawback to these kind of schemes. You can want that domain back more than anything in the world, but as long as you refuse to pay anything more than normal price for it you've broken their business model. Since they rely on someone being willing to pay more than it's worth, as long as no one is willing to pay their asking price they lose. And sooner or later, they will need to get rid of it, in which case they will sell it at a reasonable price and you'll still be there to scoop it up. So they either sell it to you at market value now, or pay continuously to hold it until they have to sell it (hopefully to you) at market value still. In any case, they've screwed themselves, because their business model depends on YOU being weak willed. As long as you don't cave, you can't lose.
26 Nov 2014, 03:20 PM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service
Threads: 396
Discord: Phoenix#8984
Gavel of TrinityHearthstone GodOverwatch5KEmerald DonatorLegendary
Overwatch Tournament AwardWriterDiscord WarriorDiscord MasterFortniterThe Bomb
GamerGeniusChristmas 2018Bronze MedalGuardian

Beasty has a point. What approach have you been using, Cloud?
[Image: wksDXoi.gif]

Member -> Recruiter -> Recruiting Director -> Mod -> Captain -> Admin
26 Nov 2014, 07:25 PM
Find
Offline SmG Psych

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ S U C C ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
12 Years of Service
Threads: 92
Likes Given: 2
Discord: Psych#4540
Crystal DonatorLegendaryFortniter