Current time: 26 Apr 2024, 05:56 PM

Define Good Positioning (Overwatch)
Offline CaptNeptune

Registered
6 Years of Service
Threads: 6
Likes Given: 0
Define Good Positioning (Overwatch)

I kinda get that positioning means places i should be in and where i should avoid, such as trying to get high ground or staying in the team.

These are my personal analysis about my positioning:
 - being in a high ground is a hindrance for me since i have to aim in a 3d perspective instead of a 2d left / right aim, so i miss a lot more in these areas.
 - i tend to avoid staying near my team because i keep getting grav'd & AoE'd by enemies and for some reason, i'd normally be the first one to die despite being in         cover
 - i have great accuracy and mobility as Pharah but i find it kinda hard to find cover in certain places like Temple of Anubis and therefore i just end up standing in the open or get pinned to the ground by S76 / McCree
 - in payload maps, i tend to flank as any hero i play (especially Lucio). A bad habit i find kinda hard to get rid off. I flank to disorient the enemy team and try to attract as much attention to me while my team wipes them.
 - i have decent positioning in control maps in general, though if i'm playing DPS i tend to stay off the point
 - The only time i would stay behind tanks / stay in the group is when i am the tank itself (except Winston) or am playing as Ana. I feel like Lucio's only capable of healing when he's amping it up and his speed is useful, except nobody in silver actually uses the mic so pushing with speed is also useless.
 - I have a tendency to charge in and attract people's attention while shouting at my team to get rid of as many enemies as possible while they're all looking at me (works most of the time in control maps like hanamura, would charge into the point as Rein while my team finishes the people near the gate 1st point)

Any recommendations on how to fix these problems & feedback regarding my strengths?

Anything is gladly appreciated
[Image: Nep.png]
(This post was last modified: 18 Sep 2017, 11:31 AM by CaptNeptune.)
18 Sep 2017, 11:30 AM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service
Threads: 396
Discord: Phoenix#8984
Gavel of TrinityHearthstone GodOverwatch5KEmerald DonatorLegendary
Overwatch Tournament AwardWriterDiscord WarriorDiscord MasterFortniterThe Bomb
GamerGeniusChristmas 2018Bronze MedalGuardian
RE: Define Good Positioning (Overwatch)

Your points are all over the place. Focus down on 1 point at a time. Trying to improve everything will make progress slower. That's what my senpai told me.
But Imma address these points 1 by 1.

1. Practice makes perfect. Try to look up guides to focus down improving aim.
2. This is something that even I'm working on. The easiest way to say it is: read your opponents. Happy to explain.in VC on Discord
3. Not a Pharah main, but you need to try and understand her kit better. Ask Stinger for more details.
4. This was another problem for me which was restriction of gameplay. Just try whatever and you'll eventually find the style you need to climb. Can go into detail if needed.
5. DPS shouldn't be on point all the time unless maybe Tracer/Genji. I can promise you though, that there will be holes in your positioning. Like I think my positioning is garbage so I dunno how you think yours is decent. Bold call.
6.Too general of a question. But from what I can tell this is similar to restriction of gameplay problem.
7. Rule 1 of Rein: Never charge.
[Image: wksDXoi.gif]

Member -> Recruiter -> Recruiting Director -> Mod -> Captain -> Admin
18 Sep 2017, 12:06 PM
Find
Offline Beasty

The Lord thy God
11 Years of Service
Threads: 206
Discord: betsy#4548
WriterEmerald DonatorJokerOverwatch5KLegendary
Discord Warrior

if you're in silver you don't have good aim, because if you did you would spam soldier and get out easily. If you have trouble dpsing as a hitscan you have no business playing phara who is arguably the hardest dps to play. Therefore my first tip would be stop playing Phara.

Second of all, just as you said, Lucio is pointless at low elo because he requires coordination and games sense from your team and nobody you're playing with has any. So my second tip is to stop playing Lucio.

You're main problem is that you are playing the wrong champs because you haven't put enough time into practicing champs that are easier to play and have a higher ROI. Whether it's the Dunning-Kruger effect or you're legitimately ok is not really the point, though the fact that you're still low elo makes me think it's the former. You need to play stuff that's easier and has a higher impact. If you're playing dps just go for Soldier or Junk. If you're playing healer go Mercy or Zen. Generally you just need to put the time into higher impact champs and rely less on your team. You need to understand that most people you're playing with are below the median MMR and are functionally brain dead. Spam soldier and learn to reliably hit headshots. Play csgo.
18 Sep 2017, 12:19 PM
Find
Offline CaptNeptune

Registered
6 Years of Service

(18 Sep 2017, 12:06 PM)Phoenix Wrote: Your points are all over the place. Focus down on 1 point at a time. Trying to improve everything will make progress slower. That's what my senpai told me.
But Imma address these points 1 by 1.

1. Practice makes perfect. Try to look up guides to focus down improving aim.
2. This is something that even I'm working on. The easiest way to say it is: read your opponents. Happy to explain.in VC on Discord
3. Not a Pharah main, but you need to try and understand her kit better. Ask Stinger for more details.
4. This was another problem for me which was restriction of gameplay. Just try whatever and you'll eventually find the style you need to climb. Can go into detail if needed.
5. DPS shouldn't be on point all the time unless maybe Tracer/Genji. I can promise you though, that there will be holes in your positioning. Like I think my positioning is garbage so I dunno how you think yours is decent. Bold call.
6.Too general of a question. But from what I can tell this is similar to restriction of gameplay problem.
7. Rule 1 of Rein: Never charge.

(18 Sep 2017, 12:19 PM)Beasty Wrote: if you're in silver you don't have good aim, because if you did you would spam soldier and get out easily. If you have trouble dpsing as a hitscan you have no business playing phara who is arguably the hardest dps to play. Therefore my first tip would be stop playing Phara.

Second of all, just as you said, Lucio is pointless at low elo because he requires coordination and games sense from your team and nobody you're playing with has any. So my second tip is to stop playing Lucio.

You're main problem is that you are playing the wrong champs because you haven't put enough time into practicing champs that are easier to play and have a higher ROI. Whether it's the Dunning-Kruger effect or you're legitimately ok is not really the point, though the fact that you're still low elo makes me think it's the former. You need to play stuff that's easier and has a higher impact. If you're playing dps just go for Soldier or Junk. If you're playing healer go Mercy or Zen. Generally you just need to put the time into higher impact champs and rely less on your team. You need to understand that most people you're playing with are below the median MMR and are functionally brain dead. Spam soldier and learn to reliably hit headshots. Play csgo.

Alright, ty
I'll work on improving myself based on ur feedbacks
Oh and Beasty, Im not sure if throwing Pharah out the window is a great idea since most people have a hard time getting rid off me, but it's true that no healers ever bother with me except mercy
18 Sep 2017, 07:26 PM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

I almost 100% disagree with Beasty. There are ways you can climb with 'lower impact heroes', but you need to find the game style that suits you to do so. Maybe a more aggressive 1v1 me style with Lucio could still work. Also Pharah is amazing at low sr and arguably one of the easier heroes.

18 Sep 2017, 09:03 PM
Find
Offline Beasty

The Lord thy God
11 Years of Service
Threads: 206
Discord: betsy#4548
WriterEmerald DonatorJokerOverwatch5KLegendary
Discord Warrior

(18 Sep 2017, 09:03 PM)Phoenix Wrote: Also Pharah is amazing at low sr and arguably one of the easier heroes.

not if you are low SR yourself lmao. What the fuck is the point in playing phara if you can't direct hit? Yeah their hitscan may be buns but as you climb their soldiers and mcrees are gonna get better before you do due to the nature of their respective skill floors.

You're basically telling him to autistically play hard champs over and over until he can figure out how to make it work. I'm not really sure in what world that constitutes good advice for someone whos mmr is literally lower than the average? It's like in league. Why the fuck would you tell someone in b5-1 to keep playing Yasuo, Zed, and Vayne over and over until it clicks instead of just gittting gud with annie and climbing to where he can learn how the game is actually supposed to be played? That's terrible advice.
(This post was last modified: 18 Sep 2017, 09:42 PM by Beasty.)
18 Sep 2017, 09:42 PM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

Stinger agrees with me. Out of all the attack heroes, pharaoh is probably the easiest. And if a challenger were to coach a bronze, I can almost 100% guarantee he coach would not tell the student to go play something else. Your job is to work with what you have and try to fix it.

18 Sep 2017, 09:54 PM
Find
Offline CaptNeptune

Registered
6 Years of Service

Um Beasty, the reason why im in silver isnt because i cant aim for shit...
I have great accuracy with PROJECTILE specific heroes, im used to playing heroes like Pharah, Hanzo, Lucio, etc...

Also i've watched videos from people like Balkyia to improve mobility... i have problems versusing other pharas but i can direct hit any other hero
(This post was last modified: 18 Sep 2017, 10:08 PM by CaptNeptune.)
18 Sep 2017, 10:05 PM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

Also I've watched his gameplay. Aim is not the core issue.

Plus it's not like you're stuck in 1700, you were able to hit 2k and finish as such last season. That means you're definitely improving.

(This post was last modified: 18 Sep 2017, 11:07 PM by Phoenix.)
18 Sep 2017, 11:07 PM
Find
Offline CaptNeptune

Registered
6 Years of Service

(18 Sep 2017, 11:07 PM)Phoenix Wrote: Also I've watched his gameplay. Aim is not the core issue.

Plus it's not like you're stuck in 1700, you were able to hit 2k and finish as such last season. That means you're definitely improving.

I made it through cause i found a 4 stack that can cooperate together :'D
They were: Reaper, Mercy, Genji mains... I would normally play Rein / Lucio... and actually it's my lil bro playing with em not me
19 Sep 2017, 06:42 AM
Find