12 Years of Service
Threads: 396
Likes Given: 0
Discord: Phoenix#8984
Gavel of TrinityHearthstone GodOverwatch5KEmerald DonatorLegendary
Overwatch Tournament AwardWriterDiscord WarriorDiscord MasterFortniterThe Bomb
GamerGeniusChristmas 2018Bronze MedalGuardian
SmG reviews movies

I feel like sometimes when I want to watch a movie, I want to see what others think of it first before diving in with 10/10 expectations that are dashed to pieces by a 7/10.

So I've been watching some movies and wish to write a review for some of them. Feel free to post your own in a similar format. Please include 50 word explanation at least of said movie and rating. :D Repeat reviews are welcome.

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Rating: 6/10
Explanation:  This particular movie had a soft spot for me. As a reader of the entire Narnian (if that is a word) series from the first ‘The Magician’s Nephew’ all the way down to ‘The Last Battle’, the entire series was mind boggling and I was eager to see the movie adaptations. However, past the beautiful landscapes and dazzling effects, the story was at times, bland and simply too far off from the novel to be even recognizable. Though there were certain heart-wrenching moments, at times, the story seemed both rushed and predictable. Without reading the novels beforehand, quite a few parts were unexplained and even confusing to the overall plotline.

Over time, the Narnian movie adaptations have gotten both messier and less likeable and can only be dubbed a decent fan service for the followers of the original novels or the first film. Otherwise, if you had hopes for improvement in the 3-part Narnian series, then this will surely be a let down. 

Title: Wanted (2008)
Rating: 8/10
Explanation:  For me, this movie has been one of the standouts of the past year. Although rather late to the party. This movie was truly impressive. I went in expecting little due to the infamous nature of the bullet bending. Although some parts are gory and at times, the swearing unnecessary, this movie contained one of the few, with an unpredictable plotline. The twists, turns and in depth nature of this film were truly astounding and more detail would mean spoilers. The progression and development of both plots and characters made perfect sense coupled with the perfect choice of cast. A truly amazing standalone film that is highly recommended.

Title: A Monster Calls
Explanation:  Often, when reading the 'blurbs' of certain films, they either heighten or severely lower the expectation. For me, this was one of the higher end and boy did it deliver. The story although simple, is filled with intricate detail with many ideas being referred back to later on. Liam Neeson perfectly encapsulates and voices 'the monster' that is the manifestation of all the anger, rage, frustration in the real world. 
A heart-wrenching film filled with many valuable life lessons that deal with and covers many issues that may be facing both children and adults with different backgrounds. However, due to certain unexplainable plot holes and questions, the film wasn't able to score a higher rating. A near perfect story with almost flawless execution.
[Image: wksDXoi.gif]

Member -> Recruiter -> Recruiting Director -> Mod -> Captain -> Admin
(This post was last modified: 02 Dec 2017, 09:42 AM by Phoenix.)
01 Dec 2017, 11:03 AM
Find
Offline Ben-G

Registered
6 Years of Service
Threads: 12
Discord: Sm-Ban-G
RE: SmG reviews movies

This is a great idea!!! Hope it takes off.
01 Dec 2017, 11:06 AM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

Please try to keep this a review only thread you can dm/pm your views on this thread. Thanks. :)
I'm happy to further explain or go into more detail on my ratings for certain movies if needed.

Title: Black Beauty (1994)
Rating: 7/10
Explanation:  For me, this movie was only go one of 2 ways, be mediocre by staying true to the original story, or go off on its own route and simply reference the original. It was the former in this situation and at times, simply having the book read to me would have been more appreciative. The basis of this movie was simply far too tricky and complex to truly warrant an outstanding movie. Similar to the novel, issues of animal cruelty and ownership were tackled, but despite the gut-wrenching moments, there were simply no standout scenes. A tricky novel to tackle yet executed expertly with no real added creativity. Stand out novel, average film.

Title: Leap/Ballerina (2016)
Rating: 7.5/10
Explanation:  One of few films that truly deserve that midrange 7.5. The idea of passion and dedication in combination was executed perfectly with both amazing visuals and soundtrack to boot. An amazing children's film for driving home the idea that only in combination can one truly stand out and be brilliant. For me, this film was no so much how the story will eventually end, but the journey. Only a fool would miss the glaringly obvious conclusion. However, the importance of that journey is also where this film's problems come to light. The way that journey results in that conclusion is questionable and by the end, those issues almost felt like they were swept under the rug, which may send misleading information to that of young minds. An all star cast with high expectations only to be is seemingly wasted on this film. So much potential, wasted opportunities.

Title: Max Steel
Rating: 3/10
Explanation:  The absolute worst film I've watched to date. Avoid at all cost. There are barely any positives apart from certain visuals and certain plot points. The acting was both bland and Max, played by Ben Winchell, almost sounded like he'd rather be anywhere else. Josh Brener (voice of Steel) sounded both bored and tired at the same time and many of the witty remarks left little more than a chuckle. Not only that, but the plot itself was flawed and predictable throughout the whole movie. And unlike many films that leave you thinking over or reviewing plot points, this left a feeling of 'What did I just watch'. Disastrous film, needs a remake.

(This post was last modified: 02 Dec 2017, 11:11 AM by Phoenix.)
01 Dec 2017, 11:13 AM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

Title: Wonder Woman
Explanation:  One of the highlight super hero movies for me in 2017. Many of the plot points were well founded with a fantastic plot twist near the end. Many of the fight scenes were both beautifully executed in terms of fighting sequence as well as visuals. There were many gut-wrenching and heart-breaking moments that further promoted this film. However, minor points such as the questionable security as well as an almost childish inquisitive nature of an adult Wonder Woman were simply too draining for the majority of the film. Still all in all, an amazing strong female lead with a well thought out storyline.

Title: The Hitman's bodyguard
Explanation:  One of the few comedies that I've watched this year with a few good jokes, but nothing a standout comedian couldn't deliver. Samuel Jackson and Ryan Reynolds play excellent leads that perfectly bounce off each other. Both executed their roles well. However for me, certain instances of unnecessary gore and swearing simply put me off to the point where a higher rating wasn't well founded. Particular scenes near the end were simply too questionable and logical for them to make any sense at all. As a result, a decent comedy and an average film. So close, yet so far.

Title: Blade
Explanation:  A decent film with many credible scenes and well founded plot points. There were many twists and turns within the film that were truly decades ahead of its time. Acting was simply superb, and although incomparable to modern day graphics, they were still passable to a point. However, certain points were left unanswered and needed far more explaining, especially near the conclusion of the film. I can only hope the full trilogy will fill in the gaps. Amazing cult classic, mediocre modern film.

Title: Moana
Explanation:  There were many high hopes for this film. Both visuals and soundtrack were beautiful as you'd expect from a Disney film with Dwayne Johnson playing an amazing Maui. Both the story and lessons involved made sense with humour addressing both adult and children alike. Despite all the glitz and the glamour of Disney, it simply fell short of many of the other Disney works such as Frozen and even the older more classic Disney films. Not my cup of tea, but possibly yours.

(This post was last modified: 02 Dec 2017, 09:43 AM by Phoenix.)
02 Dec 2017, 09:41 AM
Find
Offline SmG Phoenix

Ignatius Regis
12 Years of Service

Title: Batman vs Superman
Rating: 6/10
Explanation:  A true let down of a great potential film. Despite the beautiful visuals and conflict of opinions, this film overall was a disappointment in the lead up to the justice League. The only real moment of interest lies in the final sequence which shall not be delved into to avoid spoilers. However, only the final few moments of the film were enough to barely save this movie from crashing into the wall of lower ratings. Many strange and at times, unwanted plot points were also introduced throughout the movie that simply left more questions than answers. If Justice league does not deliver, the DC universe is truly in dire straits.

Title: The Secret Life of pets

Rating: 6.5/10
Explanation:  This movie can be easily written off as 'another kids movie'. A logical and obvious plot with visuals and music we've come to accept from modern day animation. Although I still question the casting of Kevin Hart, the issue of identity and belonging resonated well throughout the entire film. However, due to no other real standouts, this simply turned out well rounded in terms of mediocrity. A simple yet basic story that can be easily appreciated by children, but not deep enough to leave the adults thinking. Fun for the kids, a snooze for adults.

Title: Beauty and the Beast

Explanation:  For me, I held a rather strong bias when watching this film. In many instances, I compared the live action to the original animation. Thankfully not a disaster, Emma Watson played a convincing Belle, however the CGI for the Beast was simply a bit too human in my eyes. And although similar to the original, the final fight sequences simply made little sense with its lack in realism and CGI. Still a well rounded attempt in a live action remake that paid homage to the original. Well respected attempt that could have gone so much worse.

Title: Lego Batman movie

Rating: 7.5/10
Explanation:  What a surprise this movie turned out to be. In all honesty, as a follow up to the Lego movie, I expected both humor and quality of animation to that of the original Lego Movie and boy did it deliver and at times, even a bit more. The issue of teamwork was well characterised and tackled throughout the film. Both the characters and plot lines were well developed. Funnily enough, this film held some of the best humor I've seen in a while. All in all, well executed, well rounded family friendly film.

03 Dec 2017, 01:50 AM
Find