Is E sport a real sport?
Offline SmG Shane

6 Years of Service
Threads: 41
Likes Given: 14
Discord: @shane#2536
ScoutDiscord WarriorFortniterDiscord Master
RE: Is E sport a real sport?

Though the abilities of professional video game players are impressive, I don't believe they can be equated with the abilities of professional athletes.

Video games simply do not require the physical aptitude of sports. This is blatantly obvious in sports like football, basketball, hockey. Even in the "less athletic" sports like golf, the use of one's body is far more prevalent than in eSports. Gamers don't face varying conditions in which they play and the physical requirements are minimal at best.

Video games also rely on mathematics that yield certain results. Games are programmed to favor certain approaches and results are ultimately determined by the computer and not by the players themselves. When I take a jump shot with Steph Curry in 2K, the CPU calculates probabilities based on where I shoot, who is guarding me, the score of the game, the time remaining, etc. These probabilities are fed into an algorithm that decides the result. These events do not occur when Steph Curry shoots in reality. (That is my simplified understanding of how video games work.)

Professional gamers are talented and make huge time commitments, but the fact that their physical abilities are limited and the results of their play are determined by a computer means that they cannot be considered real athletes, nor can eSports be considered real sports.
[Image: imageedit_1_4401642769.gif]
12 Apr 2018, 11:38 AM
Find Reply
Away SmG Icemon

SmG Member
6 Years of Service
Threads: 4
Likes Given: 0
Discord: Icemon#2081
Christmas 2018
RE: Is E sport a real sport?

(12 Apr 2018, 11:38 AM)Shane_AK Wrote: Though the abilities of professional video game players are impressive, I don't believe they can be equated with the abilities of professional athletes.

Video games simply do not require the physical aptitude of sports. This is blatantly obvious in sports like football, basketball, hockey. Even in the "less athletic" sports like golf, the use of one's body is far more prevalent than in eSports. Gamers don't face varying conditions in which they play and the physical requirements are minimal at best.

Video games also rely on mathematics that yield certain results. Games are programmed to favor certain approaches and results are ultimately determined by the computer and not by the players themselves. When I take a jump shot with Steph Curry in 2K, the CPU calculates probabilities based on where I shoot, who is guarding me, the score of the game, the time remaining, etc. These probabilities are fed into an algorithm that decides the result. These events do not occur when Steph Curry shoots in reality. (That is my simplified understanding of how video games work.)

Professional gamers are talented and make huge time commitments, but the fact that their physical abilities are limited and the results of their play are determined by a computer means that they cannot be considered real athletes, nor can eSports be considered real sports.

The thing about shooting a basket and the computer realizing the problems has nothing to do with it though
By the law of gravity we know that if we throw something upwards, it'll come downwards cuz of gravity, but it wasn't Steph Curry that realized this, was it?
No, but he uses this knowledge to throw the basket ball into the basket
Likewise, we don't do all the calculations of the computer and such, but we're still the ones clicking, we're still the ones playing, taking action, even if other things are taking action at the same time, we're still taking action, I'm taking action as I write this, but my keyboard is the one that transmits the information etc, does that mean the keyboard is writing, and not me? No.

Besides, chess requires minimum physical capacity just like gaming, yet it is considered a sport, so why wouldn't E Sports be? A sport isn't categorized after your physical capacity, is it? Or else even a child wouldn't be able to play football as its physical capacity isn't good enough to reach the requirement of 'playing football', and instead, the child is just 'playing ball', and not a sport.

E sports don't require physical attributes, but they still require a healthy, active mind with quick wits, calculations, strategising, moment-to-moment actions just like sports.

@"Shane_AK" Not trying to single you out or anything, your argument just contradicted my thoughts, still luv ya tho <3
[Image: icemon_v2_00000.jpg]

Praise Aqua~ Giggly
12 Apr 2018, 12:04 PM
Find Reply