Current time: 05 May 2024, 03:21 PM

I need some advice.
Offline jakeweeezy

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 24
Likes Given: 0
I need some advice.

Went to the College the other day to check out the program I was planning to go to next year (Electrical Engineering Technician) and I absolutely hated everything about the preview of the course. So now I need to figure out what I'm going to do, I got accepted to other courses in schools and hour away. But having to drive back and forth each day because I simply can't live in residence because of my daughter.

Other option is join the forces and take (aviation systems technician) but this time I would be away from my gf & daughter for a full year + only seeing them on holidays while in school 5 hours away from where I live.

I really don't know what to do and would like any advice you guys have to offer, do I go for the forces job and suffer through being away from them for a year to get a solid career in the long run. Or do I wait for my gf to get out of school and then they move there with me while i go through school.
01 Apr 2012, 03:34 PM
Find
Offline marshMello

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 25
Re: I need some advice.

hmph People are suddenly quiet when it comes to giving actual advice.
Anyways Jakweeezy, I see that you are in quite a predicament. I don't really have the wisdom of making many big decisions, but in my mind waiting an entire year to get a career isn't the best option. Also, there are more variables to project depending on circumstances...e.g. is your daughter school age? if not, then that's not a problem, but if she is already making friends, she might have a problem with the move. At the same time, how active do you want to be in her life, and where you want her to grow up? On the flipside, there is questions of how easily you can get a job as an AST, or an EET, or w/e you decide to go into.
In short, I would suggest either, going with the forces, (idk about Canada, but here you get scholarships for that stuff) although it doesn't seem to be a very cost effective solution or happy solution, or stick with the EET class if you have already taken courses for this sort of thing before. We all have classes we hate (I've picked electives that ruined my year), and sometimes we just need to push on through.
Good luck with whatever you choose. [smokindope]
[Image: mkalltheway.png]
Hoax-"Won't stop. Can't stop, S m G

[Image: akton.jpg]
01 Apr 2012, 04:11 PM
Find
Offline SmG Psych

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ S U C C ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
12 Years of Service
Threads: 92
Likes Given: 2
Discord: Psych#4540
Crystal DonatorLegendaryFortniter

I say do what is best for ur daughter. In my opinion she is the most important person in your life and you should pick the option that will provide best for her while still progressing u in your career path.
[Image: jyECP6x.png]
01 Apr 2012, 04:19 PM
Find
Away SmG Storm

13 Years of Service
Threads: 203
Ghost

had a similar choice a year ago and i choose the road that would make my and my gf profit in the long run
even though we got into different colleges. idk man whatever you think is right.
[Image: MCZBxMS.gif]
01 Apr 2012, 04:27 PM
Find
Offline jakeweeezy

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 24

there's honestly so many senario's to look at which is the main issue making a final decision a bitch to comeby. Like I could technically skip the EET course entirely and get some wheels, get hired with an electrical company work as a labourer and in a few months request an apprenticeship. Well the obvious thing is that I don't want to leave me gf and daughter for any large length of time.
01 Apr 2012, 05:53 PM
Find
Offline OldSpritz

Registered
13 Years of Service
Threads: 57

Lol...in the end, if your not happy then no one around you will be happy. Your happiness is in your destiny. Your destiny is your true desire. Your true desire is only known by you. Don't take detours, don't avoid
the tough decisions and don't let fear move you off what you really want to achieve. The shortest distance between where you are now and where you truly want to go is a straight line! Make the decision you want to make (you already know what it is or you wouldn't have posted here) then sit down and make a plan. Not a 5 min or 10 min plan a serious plan. Then sit down down with the girlfriend and tell her what your plans are and what you need to do get both of you and your kid to place of happiness and prosperity. This is the place in life where you choose to be average like the world or pay the price for GREATNESS...

NUT UP!! YOU LEAD THEY WILL FOLLOW... ;)

[spritz]
[Image: 1807757678.png]
01 Apr 2012, 08:57 PM
Website Find
Offline iTimpact

Registered
12 Years of Service
Threads: 5

You will gain more practical knowledge if you join the service, however the benefits are grossly exaggerated, and you can forget the important theoretical concepts. Having a security clearance and the hands on experience will help you get a respectable job after you're out, but they are also beginning to reduce benefits for non combat personnel.

The GI Bill is very overrated and if you attend school for EE after you discharge, you will still have the same hurdles you encounter now.

You will gain more theoretical knowledge pursuing EE and if you stay at the top of your classes and join the right clubs, you can nab a job out of school that pays the same. Of course, your pay scale will rise dramatically. EE background is practically recession proof it is useful in all countries and industries.

If you are good at chemistry, I suggest considering CE because there are far fewer students and many more job vacancies. You are guaranteed a lucrative career in that field if you graduated today.

Most EE's in my family are on par with the JDs, PhDs, and Actuaries in my family financially and intellectually.

Source: Family full of EE's and ex Marines.

*My suggestion: Get the EE now and tell your baby momma to quit her b******* and get food stamps because she's going to get child support up the *** when you graduate and go to work for a powerhouse like GE.

Your daughter will love you no matter what you do.
H2V = CyP Timmy
[Image: 93357_3.png]
01 Apr 2012, 10:47 PM
Website Find
Offline OldSpritz

Registered
13 Years of Service
Threads: 57

GE is overrated and will be non existent in 10 to 15 years in North America ...Aim higher!

[spritz]
[Image: 1807757678.png]
01 Apr 2012, 11:29 PM
Website Find